Sunday, October 26, 2014

Medical Appointment

We met our guide John at 9:30 in the hotel lobby to go for Brody's medical check this morning. All children adopted internationally have to come to the clinic to be medically cleared in order travel.

There were lots of adoptive families at the clinic as Saturday is typically the day families go so that the TB blood test (which takes 48 hours) can be read prior to the Consulate Appointment. Children under 2 are exempt from the blood test. The waiting room had approximately 25 families with children this morning.

We entertained ourselves with bubble blowing. He loves gum and has learned to blow a bubble over the past week. He also likes to pop our bubbles! ;)

The first room was an overall medical check. They listened to his heart and breathing. They also checked his abdomen and back.

The next station checked his weight, height, and eye sight.

Next the physician checked his ears and throat. All checked out well.

Oh this door... This is the TB blood test room. In the past couple of years, they have prohibited parents from going into the blood draw room with the children. It broke my heart that they wouldn't let me be there with him. I pulled a sucker out of my backpack and waited (for what seemed like forever) for him to come out. He didn't cry (which isn't surprising) and I hugged him and told him I was sorry it hurt. I gave him the sucker and we were finished with our appointment.

Downtown Guangzhou

After the medical appointment, we stopped at the supermarket to pick up some drinks and snacks. Then we went for lunch at a dumpling place close to our hotel. It was delicious. I'd say our best meal since we've been in China. John is super helpful at taking us to good places to eat. On our way back to the hotel, we stopped at this park located next to our hotel. The park itself is very large and we plan to go back another day to explore. There are rides, paddle boats, and a playground inside.

This is a Cantonese restaurant located inside the park.

Since the park is so large, these fancy golf carts will give you a tour of the park.

Once we got back to the room, Brody and I played cars. It's evident that he's never had toys to play with before and we find ourselves saying "easy" about 100 times a day. We lined up his superheroes and knocked them down with the cars. Trying to "pretend" with the cars and superheroes is a little much right now.

The Bigs have been asking to swim since we arrived (we have a pool view from our room, which makes the urge even greater). I was a little apprehensive about how Brody would react to the water. He said he'd never been swimming before but wanted to go. We explained that Baba would hold him and wouldn't let him go under. As you can see, he loved the pool! That's great considering the other three kiddos are waterdogs!

Overall, we had a great day. He's settling into our family well and there are lots that we are still working on. Easy, boundaries, and cause/effect are our main "issues" right now. However, our goal is to love him BIG, make him feel safe and build trust and bonding while slowly working on those things. He's survived on his own for 6.5 years. We can't expect him to surrender all that in one week. It's a marathon and reliance on Him and prayer from our family and friends is where we gain our strength! I can't thank you enough for your love, support, and prayers. Keep them coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment